Everyone knows how much Sansa Stark loves Lemon Cakes. Any Game of Thrones Party would be incomplete without them. Now I'm guessing this is not how they made lemon cakes in the medieval times. HBO actually gives on their website a recipe for lemon cakes that Sansa so innocently popularized. The HBO recipe uses more of a soufflé cooking technique, so to make it simple and more accessible to us modern folk, I used a meyer lemon bundt cake recipe from The Little Kitchen and adapted it to make these moist Mini Lemony Lemon Cakes with Candied Lemon Slices. I don’t believe there was buttercream frosting back then ;) Well,their loss!!
FOR THE CAKES
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt (If using fat-free plain yogurt, add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to cake mix)
- Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- Prepare a 24 mini cupcake baking pan by brushing it with melted butter (or use a veg oil cooking spray). Dust it with a spoonful of flour making sure you get the edges. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk butter and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs and whisk well. Then add the lemon zest and juice and whisk again.
- Add ½ the flour mix and ½ the yogurt and mix to combine. Add the remaining yougurt. Mix. Lastly add the remaining flour mix and mix till just combined. (Do not overbeat, just make sure all the flour and yogurt is incorporated in the mixture and there are no lumps left.)
- Fold in the vanilla extract here if you are using plain fat-free yogurt. Skip this step if you are using vanilla flavored yogurt.
- Spoon into your pre-greased & floured mini cupcake pan. Tap the pan gently against your countertop to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake in a 350(F) Degree pre heated oven for 18-20mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center of any cake comes out clean.
- Once out of the oven let the pan sit over a cooling rack till cakes are at room temperature. Loosen cakes by running a serrated plastic knife around the circumference of the cakes. Pop them out and gobble them down.
FOR THE CANDIED LEMON SLICES
- 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup sugar (Use 1/3 cup sugar if the lemons are very tart)
- Line your baking sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Cut lemons crosswise into thick slices (1/4 - 1/8 of an inch) and arrange them in a single layer on the pan.
- Sprinkle lemon slices with sugar.
- Bake in a 275(F) Degrees pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes or until lemons are almost dry but still slightly sticky. Loosen slices from paper immediately to prevent sticking.
- To get a slight charred effect, turn up the heat on the oven to 300(F) Degrees and let the lemons bake another 2-3 minutes. Make sure you are standing there watching as different ovens may vary. I learnt it the hard way and lost two batches to ashes. Lightly loosen slices from paper to prevent sticking and let cool.